Located on the northern fringe of metropolitan Melbourne, City of Darebin is a progressive Council who pride themselves on inclusiveness, diversity and innovation. With a population if over 161,000 residents, the City also has one of the largest populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents in metropolitan Melbourne and is home to many different cultures and over 138 languages spoken. The City delivers high quality services and programs to service all residents, irrespective of age, gender, ability, race or religion. The City also embraces environmental sustainability, infrastructure and waste minimisation. They have a high performing communications team who drive the delivery of these vital services and programs to the community, and there is now an opportunity to lead external communications proactively and strategically.
The Coordinator External Communications leads a motivated team to deliver integrated external corporate communications to a diverse audiences. As a leader, a pivotal part of the role is the strategic development of communications plans, supporting your team to liaise with multiple program teams and business units across the Council to ensure all significant projects are communicated effectively. With a focus on digital channels, it is necessary to anticipate emerging digital channels to engage hard to reach audiences. The Coordinator is also responsible for leading significant business-wide projects to ensure it meets its goals and objectives, providing strategic advice to the the CEO and Mayor. The development of a content calendar and editorial plan is key to ongoing success.
Skills and experience
To be successful in this role, Coordinator External Communications must have:
- Tertiary qualifications in communications, journalism or similar field experience
- Proven experience managing and motivating teams of communications professionals
- Clear examples of strategy development, implementation and reporting
- A consultative approach to advising senior leaders in an organisation
- Experience or exposure to working in complex environments in the public sector
- High level written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for environmental issues, community development and / or diversity
- Highly skilled project management capability
To apply for the role
Please click the Apply Now button, or for a confidential conversation, please contact Lyndsey Walker at Six Degrees on (03) 8613 3518
Six Degrees are the retained partner for this assignment. All direct responses will be sent to Six Degrees for consideration.