Victoria University (VU) is a dual sector (higher education and TAFE) tertiary institution located in Melbourne, Australia. VU has academic colleges, each covering a broad discipline of study, including a First Year College and a Research School. The University has campuses in Melbourne's CBD and western region, and a campus in Sydney. It also offers courses at partner institutions throughout Asia. Almost 43,000 students, including around 14,000 international students, study VU courses worldwide. In 2016, VU celebrated its 25th anniversary as a university, which also marked its 100 years as an educational institution.
The Director, Media and Corporate Communications is a key role in the success of the University's marketing and communications strategy. Reporting to the Executive Director Marketing & Communications, this role also has direct communication with the Vice Chancellor and Senior Executive team on media issues and crisis management. The mandate for the role is to build and execute a detailed media strategy to support the University's brand positioning and build reputation. There is also an opportunity to further develop the internal communications strategy and adopt a positive approach to change management. The role requires an exceptionally innovative leader with the ability to build capability, find the right channels and adopt a digitally savvy approach to media.
In the role, you will:
- Lead the development and delivery of an overarching media content strategy which supports the university's brand and brand positioning
- Provide strategic advice to the Executive Director of Marketing & Communications, the Vice-Chancellor and the Senior Executive leadership team on reputational issues and crisis management
- Identify opportunities for the Vice-Chancellor to contribute to national and international debate
- Identify and promote key researchers and outcomes to increase brand awareness
- Develop an integrated internal communications strategy, establish policy, procedures, and build communities of practice, whilst consolidating existing channels
- Utilise external digital and social media channels to build reputation of key stakeholders for national and international audiences
- Work with the Director Marketing to help conceptualise high-impact media to support the annual program of VU brand messages and campaigns
- Develop and lead a high-performance team, developing and coaching staff
- Establish key metrics and measures to feed into monthly team reporting and performance dashboards
- Manage key stakeholder relationships across the university to achieve quality outcomes
To be considered, you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related area, or relevant experience
- Track record in strong leadership, including coaching team members, building capability, and managing performance
- Deep knowledge of digital media platforms and social media channels, as well as traditional media
- Proven experience communications planning including developing and delivering sophisticated media and content strategies to support brand messaging and brand positioning in complex organisations
- Experience developing internal communications strategies, content calendars and communities of practice
- A highly-developed ability to proactively identify news, content and reputation-building opportunities
- Ability to build VU brand understanding through the promotion of outstanding research and researchers to national and international audiences
- Proven track record managing issues and crisis management in issues-rich environments
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and educate stakeholders on the national media landscape
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in development and delivery of policy and procedures in large and complex organisations
- Ability to establish key metrics and measures across brand, media activity and service delivery to feed into monthly team reporting and performance dashboards
You will be employed in a two year fixed term contract capacity, based at Victoria University's Footscray Campus (with additional option to work from CBD office where appropriate)
How to apply:
Please click the Apply Now button, or for a confidential conversation, please contact Lyndsey Walker on (03) 8613 3518.
All direct applications or resumes received by our client from external parties will be referred to Six Degrees Executive as the retained recruitment partner on this assignment.