Six Degrees Executive has partnered with a leading travel name to identify their next Front End Developer guru. Our client is Australia's leading publisher of news, guides and reviews for the travel industry and their website attracts around 300,000 visitors per month.
They're a small team who love what we do and are located across Australia and overseas. As such, they're excited to be looking for a Front End Developer to join them in their Melbourne office.
This will be more than a job but an opportunity to work directly with their Head of Product & Marketing as well as their CTO.
Their website uses Wordpress as a CMS but this is substantially augmented by other modern tooling:
They have a unique way of bringing data into their core VueJS components. We do not use jQuery anywhere and have no plans to change this.
To succeed in this role, you must have some Wordpress experience with a reasonable handle on programming in PHP. Whilst this won't be the majority of your work, you will be expected to debug specific Wordpress issues.
Most of your client-side development will be writing Vue components to augment the fantastic content written by their editorial team. You must have experience writing Vue components and working with Vuex to succeed in this role.
The rest of our stack are Node.js microservices deployed across a broad range of providers (Google AppEngine, Cloud Functions, Now.sh, Digital Ocean, Heroku). You will be expected to maintain, upgrade, and add new features to these services as needed.
You will be our go-to-person on all-things technology. Whilst you will be supported by the CTO and freelance Developers, you will be required to work directly with the team to prioritise projects and daily tasks. A strong candidate will be able to demonstrate how they have used their communication skills to prioritise tasks in a small team.
- Planning and prioritising bug fixes and feature requests with the broader (non-technical) team
- Fixing and deploying bug fixes in Wordpress theme
- Building/improving/maintaining Vue applications that augment the website's functionality
- Github repository administration (creating/maintaining issues, branch management)
- Wordpress administration (syncing prod/staging environments, plugin management, setting up local environments) across a small number of related Wordpress instances
- Assessing error notifications, reviewing associated error logs, and deciding on severity of issues
- Maintaining development workflows with the freelance development team (code reviews, documentation and issue references, pull requests are merged when safe)
- Improving our internal documentation
- Reporting milestone progress to the team in regular catch-ups
You will be trained by the CTO on any elements of the business that are unfamiliar.
Required technical experience:
* Wordpress (Advanced)
* CSS (Advanced)
* VueJS/Vuex (Intermediate-Advanced)
* Node.js applications (Beginner-Intermediate)
* GraphQL (Beginner-Intermediate)
* Docker and Docker Compose (Beginner-Intermediate)
* End to end testing using Cypress
Required general experience as a Developer:
- Proven ability to report critical issues to the team in a professional manner
- Ability to flag problems in any planned development
- Proven ability to up-skill at pace
- Able to communicate open and honestly
- Ability to juggle and prioritise varying demands from the team
Extra Perks of the job:
- Annual trip (previous trips have included Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong)
- Learn first-hand how to beef up your travel experience
- We'll shout you a coffee from the cafe downstairs everyday
- Casual work environment, shared with very talented individuals across a number of businesses
Think you have what it takes? If so, apply now or contact Mark Watson of Six Degrees Executive, Melbourne.