Cancer Council Victoria is an independent charity that has been leading the fight against cancer since 1936. They are the largest non-government provider of cancer research funds in Victoria. Cancer Council undertakes three important aspects of cancer control - research, prevention and support for people with cancer, their families and friends.
The Prevention Division aims to prevent cancer through community interventions, mass media, advocacy, training and policy. They deliver public health programs across Victoria for obesity prevention, tobacco control, sun protection, cancer screening, immunisation and alcohol change.
There is a rare opportunity to join this division as Head of Media and Communications to drive prevention messages through effective communications platforms.
The Head of Media and Communications leads a talented team across key areas of paid and unpaid media communications, marketing and digital engagement. This is a pivotal role which works closely with the Head of Prevention, the Director of Quit Victoria along with behavioural research and insights teams to develop and deliver powerful media and advocacy campaigns. Role responsibilities also include:
- Working with research teams to interpret, track and utilise insights on changes in community behaviour to support campaigns
- Providing strategic advice to the Senior Leadership Team across the organisation
- Develop the media and advocacy strategic plans for the Prevention Division
- Work with external agencies to oversee the delivery of mass media campaigns to market
- Foster an environment of strong collaboration across divisions and teams to deliver best practice communications
- Develop issues management strategies to ensure the Division can respond to media opportunities or controversial issues
- Develop strategies to maximise communications opportunities for paid and unpaid media campaigns, media advocacy strategies, research and community education
- Coordinate large scale budgets with complex funding streams, and deliver formal reporting to funders
Skills and experience
To be successful in this role, the Head of Media and Communications must have:
- Tertiary qualifications in marketing, communications, journalism or similar fields
- Proven experience leading high performing teams
- Extensive experience developing and delivering multi-channel communications strategies
- Breadth of experience conceptualising and delivering advertising campaigns through traditional and digital channels
- Ability to interpret behavioural data and insights to deliver successful communications strategies
- Complex stakeholder management experience and a reputation for collaboration
- Large budget management for campaigns
- A significant interest in public healthcare and a passion for communicating with diverse communities
Please click the Apply Now button, or for a confidential conversation, please contact Lyndsey Walker at Six Degrees on (03) 8613 3518
Six Degrees are the retained recruitment partner for this assignment. Any applications forwarded directly to our client will be redirected for consideration.