About the Council
Mornington Peninsula Shire is Victoria's destination municipality, characterised by unique townships, highly productive agriculture, world renowned landscapes, tourist regions, and areas of national and international conservation significance within a vital Green Wedge.
Mornington Peninsula Shire is responsible for a broad range of infrastructure and community services that support the wellbeing and prosperity of their diverse community. With approximately 1200 employees, it is a busy and vibrant workplace.
About the role
A key position within the Office of the CEO, you will be responsible for the leadership and strategic direction of the News, Advocacy, Communications & Engagement unit. You will oversee the development of strategic programs, media campaigns and relationships with community, government and key stakeholders to advocate for the interests of the Mornington Peninsula Shire:
- Identify, develop and implement policies, strategies and campaigns that enhance the level of communications and community, government and stakeholder relations.
- Strengthen the brand and reputation of Council through expert deployment of multi-media communication strategies, strategic advice and effective campaigns, including supporting elected representatives.
- Identify, develop and implement policies, strategies and programs which will embed a culture of community engagement throughout Council.
- Develop and implement evidence-based advocacy strategies and initiatives in collaboration with Council and Executive, whilst providing support to internal units on key advocacy issues.
- Effectively lead and manage media relations and issues/crisis management communications.
- Develop and maintain key strategic relationships with media organisations, local, state and federal governments and other key community and business stakeholders.
- Lead a dynamic and high performing team of 16, plus additional temporary resources or contractors as required.
Kindly note: This position is a four year maximum term contract, with appropriate reappointment provisions.
Skills & Experience
- Significant experience in successfully leading strategic and operational communications, community engagement and public relations requirements, with an understanding government and other complex political environments.
- A demonstrated track record in advocacy relating to major issues
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading key news management and advocacy projects.
- Proven experience in successfully leading, engaging and developing a high performing team.
- Strategically and politically astute thinker for the development and provision of advice for policy and strategy decisions.
- Ability to use highly developed interpersonal skills to influence, persuade and/or motivate community, team members, senior management and other key internal and external stakeholders
The Mornington Peninsula community is at the heart of everything they do, and they are committed to the highest standards of performance, behaviour and service. As an employer, they are committed to providing an environment that is safe and engaging and enables their people to achieve great things. They are committed to ensuring their workforce is inclusive and reflects the diversity of their community.
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button or contact Lauren Madden at Six Degrees Executive on (03) 8613 3547 for a confidential discussion.
Six Degrees Executive are proudly the retained partner for this talent search assignment.