About the company
Our client is one of Australia's leading speciality retailers and a brand that has been at the forefront of Australian retail for the past four decades, with a large national footprint. As one of Australia's fastest growing big box retailers, they curate and develop an extensive and inspirational range of brands and could be a career defining role for you.
About the role
Reporting into the Head of Merchandising, your success will be measured through the achievement of the business vision to deliver the right product, price and in store / online experience to achieve profitable growth. With a passion for innovation and identifying future market trends you will strive to secure new opportunities through NPD to drive incremental sales and expand the portfolio. Leading from the front and creating a positive and collegiate environment within the large buying team, you will be charged with collectively delivering financial KPI's of Sales, Margin, Income and Stock Turns and work with commitment to build positive, mutually beneficial relationships with external stakeholders such as Suppliers, Retail Customers and the Store network.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Actively contributing to the development of a seasonal range plan
- Attending overseas fairs, visiting suppliers and identifying new products of commercial merit for inclusion in the range.
- Build ranges that will deliver target GM$ performance and GM%
- Cost price negotiation to achieve and exceed the target margin
- Proven experience of delivering positive commercial outcomes within a large business environment and have high level financial management skills
- Awareness of the market, competitors, current & emerging trends
- Planning, selecting and purchasing the range, mix and quantity of merchandise according to OTB
- Option Plan, Styling Brief, trends and customer demands
- Analysis of Best & Worst Sellers to aid decision making
- Motivating, leading, training and developing team, hands on approach
- Multi category, multi life-cycle product experience
- Demonstrated understanding of retail fundamentals (marketing, supply chain, operations and merchandise)
- Actively contribute as a member of the Senior Management Team and communicate with stakeholders across the organisation, including Board level reporting;
- A proven track record in achieving sales and profit KPIs
- Minimum of 5 years national buying experience and demonstrated ability to lead and manage a Merchandise buying function in a multi business unit environment
- Experience in sourcing product from overseas suppliers preferable
- An excellent knowledge of current market trends and a passion for sourcing beautiful, commercially viable product.
- Prior experience leading, coaching and developing a team
- Strong negotiation & influencing skills
- Knowledge and experience of the retail landscape
- Strong commercial and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and awareness of how to establish business relationships across different cultural contexts.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel & Outlook
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work quickly and accurately whist meeting deadlines
- Experience in bulky goods, hardware or related areas would be preferable.
This is an amazing time to join this business. Positive financial results, a clear vision and significant investment in people and culture make this a positive, engaged and dynamic place to work. The business has a unified vision to be the dominant retailer in their space with a highly inclusive workforce that embraces and recognises hard work and dedication.
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY button or contact Carolyn Heyward on (03) 8613 3505 for a confidential discussion.