About the organisation
This organisation is the Tasmanian state branch of a key national union with over 150,000 members. The organisation provides personal, professional and industrial needs of its members to improve the conditions of employment and advance professional interests and promote the value of their sector in the community. Federally and at a state level, this includes the maintenance of industrial protection and representation through industrial awards and agreements in all industrial tribunals in Australia. It also involves research, negotiation and advocacy over a wide range of matters including salaries and conditions.
They have a clear three year strategic plan, with a focus on campaigning for positive change such as funding, collective agreements and workplace empowerment; continual improvement in member support such as processes, lifting standards and a workplace focus; and building a professional voice in the sector they represent through member leadership, member engagement and networked relationships.
About the role - Hobart based
Reporting to the Branch Executive (board) the State Director will work alongside the President with responsiblity for implementation of the Union's member endorsed operational plan. This comes at a time where the union has been very active in terms of advocacy and industrial action, as well as internally been through a period of change and transformation. This key leadership role is critical at an important stage of the Union's journey.
- Lead the Union's operational plan
- Drive member growth
- Communications and campaign management
- Coordinate the administration of the union including policies, procedures
- Supervise the corporate and financial affairs
- Coordinate and lead the industrial work of the branch including the negotiation of working conditions, enterprise agreements, advocacy in the Industrial Relations Commission
- Provide strategic and technical advice on industrial issues affecting Union members
Skills & Experience required
- General Management, State Director, State Manager, Executive Director level
- Experience in the Union movement (State or Federal)
- Or experience in an Association with a core focus on representing members' best interests
- Experienced in industrial work, enterprise agreements, advocacy at a State or Federal level
- Strong leadership
- Change management experience and bringing people together during a period of change
The opportunity and challenge
This is a unique time in the Union's history, with membership growing and key industrial action prevalent as the Union has become more active and influential. The State Director will need to continue to lead the organisation through a period of change.
Living in Hobart
Known for its natural beauty and laidback locals, it's no wonder more and more people are planting their roots in Hobart. This place is home to some of the most stunning scenery in the country, and it is much more affordable than the bigger cities. It has an arts and cultural scene that compares to Europe with the likes of MONA, Dark Mofo; incredible food and wine and it is safe to live and easy to get around.
How to apply
If you are interested in relocating to Hobart, Click on the APPLY button or contact Nick Hindhaugh on (03) 86133522 for a confidential career discussion.
All direct applications or resumes received by our client from external parties will be referred to Six Degrees Executive as the retained recruitment partner on this assignment.