On Wednesday, Six Degrees ran an event in partnership with General Assembly in Sydney. I was asked to sit on a panel and bring my views on How To Build A 21st Century Career.
I was joined on the panel by:
- Cara De Ferranti, UX Researcher – Google
- Shane Williamson, Product Manager – Telstra
- Vikki Luke, Client Partner – Fluent Retail
The panel was moderated by Mike Dickson, Director of NSW, Six Degrees.
During the questioning, we discussed four core areas:
- What does the future of the tech and digital working world looks like?
- What roles and opportunities will exist?
- How can talent stay relevant and position themselves for the future in this rapidly changing work space?
- What skills are sought after and how to go about up-skilling?
This led to an informative conversation and at some points, debate around what the landscape of digital looks like now, and how you can future-proof your career for success.
There were some themes that came across strongly and the panel were in agreement in a lot of areas:
- In the future, digital will be much more ingrained in businesses from the top down. Chief Digital Officer and other senior positions will be a much more common place, rather than digital being a small part of what marketers do.
- Data is one of the most important components to the digital landscape - now and in the coming years. Companies are collecting more and more data every day, and finding people to analyse that data and know what to do with it is key.
- Schools and universities are now teaching coding as a part of their standard curriculum. Digital professionals in the workforce must keep their skills relevant and up-to-date.
- Digital professionals must be a sponge. Read everything, look at international markets and network. Finding a mentor will be invaluable.
This is just a small snapshot of what came from the event, and I was proud to be part of such an insightful panel.
If you’d like more information on any of these areas, or to discuss your future in the digital space please get in touch with Mhairi Kerr.
In recent years, the role of a Chief Financial Officer, or CFO, has transformed from traditional...
When it comes to sourcing talent for your team the cost of getting it wrong or having a position...